Production of food grade sustainable CO2 from a large biogas facility

Case Story - IEA Bioenergy: Task 37 report

Biogas typically consists of 60% biomethane which is used as a renewable fuel, while the remaining 40% is a natural residual product in the form of CO2. Instead of wasting this residual CO2 and emitting to the atmosphere, a unit was designed to recover all of the CO2 in a seven-step process. The sustainable CO2 is free of microorganisms, and that it is odourless, tasteless and meets all the standards required for utilization in many sectors, including the food industry. The CO2 is ideal for carbonation in the soft drink as well as for cooling and freezing food.

Click here to read the full document.